DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

A Racial Question

Quixotic

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
I see I got your attention!

Ha ha!

All jokes aside, I have a question that's been gnawing at me all day and Google has been no help at all. No surprise there. Google, you're junk!

Here's my question:

What percent of the US population consists of American born non-white people?

Why do I ask this? Mostly out of curiosity. Partly because it sometimes annoys me when immigrants ask me what country I was born in because they mistakenly assume only black and white people are "American". Actually, I sometimes get asked that from a few blacks or whites which just just makes me assume they're ignorant fools that were probably raised in the South. LOL

Here's another question:

Do other people ask you that question assuming you're not American born?

I'm fascinated to read your answers. :)

Here's my question:

What percent of the US population consists of American born non-white people?

So basically what you're asking is how many people in the US are Minorities? I have no clue, but as much of a melting pot as we are, we are all so mixed with so many different things, does it even matter anymore?

Here's another question:

Do other people ask you that question assuming you're not American born?

I never get asked that question becuase I look white, and so people automatically assume that I am white, but when I start speaking spanish, most of the time I get *WOW! So what part of Mexico did you learn spanish from!!?* Again, people just being ignorant....
and at one point to be honest with you quix, it did piss me off, but then I figured, they are just ignorant people and maybe if I educate them and let them know what I am and where my roots are from, they'll just have a better understanding that Mexico isn't the only Spanish speaking country and that the World is actually a little bit bigger than just the Northern Continent :D

I believe that 30 % of the U.S. population are from so called minority groups.

I checked the census figures and that's pretty much what it says. 20 to 25% depending on what constitutes being a minority. But what I'm interested in knowing is what percent of the minority population is American born. I'm having a harder time trying to get an answer to that question.

as much of a melting pot as we are, we are all so mixed with so many different things, does it even matter anymore?

If this country really were a melting pot, then I wouldn't be asked what country I'm from. Unless someone speaks with a foreign accent or can't even speak English at all, it should be assumed that they were born here.

I remember reading about an experience a Japanese-American woman had when asked where she was from. Now I don't remember the exact cities she mentioned so I'll substitute my own.

She replied she was from New York. The person she was speaking to seemed a little dumbfounded so he asked her, "I mean, where are you from before that?"
So she said, "Before New York, I lived in San Diego."
Finally he asks, "I mean, where were you born? What country were you born in?"
She finally replies, "I was born in San Francisco. Do you realize what a racist question you're asking? Can't you tell I'm American?"

Again, people just being ignorant....
Exactly.

George Lopez said it best where he says, *well what part of Mexico are your ancestors from? Los Angeles, Bitch!*

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvcrLtFnnjk[/media]

12 % is foreign born....so that makes 88% of the U.S. population native born.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/10/19/12-percent-in-US-foreign-born/UPI-87261287522622/

Thank you so much!

:D

Which means at most 18% of the population are American born minorities. Give or take.

Funny, but living here in the Bay Area, it feels like that number should be higher but that's because major metro areas will alter your perception. I'm sure those statistics would feel more accurate in the middle of a corn field in Iowa.

Thank you once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Lopez said it best where he says, *well what part of Mexico are your ancestors from? Los Angeles, Bitch!*

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvcrLtFnnjk[/media]

LMAO, George Lopez is the shit and speaks the truth, Im sure we can all relate to what he says.

Ok so here's my two cents. Mexican Americans born in the U.S from down south always say they are American when asked what nationality they are. I learned this from a girl that moved here to Detroit from Texas. I asked her what nationality she was and she told me american. I was confused and said ok so where is your family from, I basically just wanted to know if she was Mexican or Puerto Rican. When I am asked where I am from, my answer would be I am Mexican and Puerto Rican but I was born here. My mom is born in Puerto Rico and My dad in mexico. But I guess the proper way is to say I am American becuase I was born here. Mexican Americans and please correct me if I am wrong if you were not born in Mexico you do not consider yourself Mexican? I always wondered that because down south is different from here. If you are mexican descent then we here say were Mexican even though we were not born in Mexico. Its confusing.

Another thing I wanted to ask you all is, what did you all check for your race on your census. I check off other and listed I was hispanic/latina. For some reason we don't have a race and I refuse to say that I am white because I am not. It seems that the government only gives us the ethinity section that gives us the option to check off if we are hispanic. I think that's unfair but they refuse to change it.

LMAO, George Lopez is the shit and speaks the truth, Im sure we can all relate to what he says.

Ok so here's my two cents. Mexican Americans born in the U.S from down south always say they are American when asked what nationality they are. I learned this from a girl that moved here to Detroit from Texas. I asked her what nationality she was and she told me american. I was confused and said ok so where is your family from, I basically just wanted to know if she was Mexican or Puerto Rican. When I am asked where I am from, my answer would be I am Mexican and Puerto Rican but I was born here. My mom is born in Puerto Rico and My dad in mexico. But I guess the proper way is to say I am American becuase I was born here. Mexican Americans and please correct me if I am wrong if you were not born in Mexico you do not consider yourself Mexican? I always wondered that because down south is different from here. If you are mexican descent then we here say were Mexican even though we were not born in Mexico. Its confusing.

Another thing I wanted to ask you all is, what did you all check for your race on your census. I check off other and listed I was hispanic/latina. For some reason we don't have a race and I refuse to say that I am white because I am not. It seems that the government only gives us the ethinity section that gives us the option to check off if we are hispanic. I think that's unfair but they refuse to change it.

On my Census I checked Other, and then listed Hispanic Colombian American.
I also refuse to put White. I may looked it, but my parents were both Colombians and I was brought up in my Colombian house hold. I am the only one in my family of my immediate brothers and sisters that is 1st generation Colombian American, but I don't call myself as such, even though it is technically the correct way to term it. I'm a Colombian born here in the US. It is what I always say and always will say.

Mexican Americans and please correct me if I am wrong if you were not born in Mexico you do not consider yourself Mexican?

I don't.

I wasn't born in Mexico. I wasn't raised in Mexico. I'm not intimately familiar with Mexican contemporary (meaning pop) culture.

I was born and raised in the US with all the cultural attachments that go along with it.

If I say I'm Mexican, I'm really saying I'm Mexican-American. But that's confusing to many people who aren't Mexican-American.

The most accurate label for me and others like-minded would be Chicano, or if you're younger and a bit more militant, Xicano.

Is this confusing? It could be, but everyone wants a way to identify themselves and I don't really identify with people from Mexico. They're Mexicans, we're Americans that eat burritos, celebrate Quinceañeras, Cinco de Mayo, speak and think (for the most part) in English, grew up in the public school system, enlist in the military to fight for this country......the list goes on and on.

Would I feel at home in Mexico? No. Definitely not at first, it would take time. It's not my country. It was my mom's country but it isn't mine.

I also have ancestors from other countries as well. Italy and Spain come to mind but I don't consider myself Italian or Spanish.

Another thing I wanted to ask you all is, what did you all check for your race on your census.

I put down Martian!

little_green_man_poster-p228513170009961927tdcp_400.jpg

I work in jersey a stones throw across the river from the empire state building.. manhattan island the largest single mass of land on the planet with the highest concentration of puerto ricans including the island of puerto rico itself what do I get all day?? 'wow youre puerto rican..i took some spanish in third grade" (you did??that must have been thirty years ago and you still know how to say la puerta, I am flabergasted!!) "youre puerto rican but not really american since puerto rico is not a state" (and for being this stupid you just proved you definately are american) "how long did it take you to get citizenship" (ummm I think it was right before the doctor spanked me the day i was born)

did your parents come in thru elis Island (noo they came by cow..the cow could swim too!!)
we get discriminated in puerto rico too by our own people, they can tell when you speak spanish 60mph instead of 170mph youre new yorican and they say "newyorican" down there with disgust, like it was something you caught or were treated in a hospital for

ever notice when there any TV series filmed in new york.. say law and order or CSI, theres never a puerto rican in sight??? (do they get rid of them by offereing free maltas and salsa down the block? or digitally remove them during the editing process??) unless there is a P R playing a drug dealer in the show, and even then its a mexican actor playing puerto rican?????

odale holmes soy boriqua...

Back