• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

My First Live DJ Gig

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Okay So a freind of Mine who is a HUGE Freestyle head and so is his fiance'

I have been giving them some of my mixes. And they have been playing them for thier friends and at the occasional get together at there house.

and every time they play my CD's evey one goes bonkers over the Songs and asks "what songs are these? "were can I get that CD" etc.

So now they have asked me to DJ the next get together!!

Any advice for my First Live set !!!!

I will take any and all advice i.e.

Equipment - Herc RMX / VDJ / Laptop / Sansui reciever Amp / portable power strip w/ reset and ground / two tower spkrs 12' / two 8 by 10' spkrs /
planning on picking up a corded Mic / not sure if I can use a condencer mic outdoors ?

Venue is 10-25 people outside Bon fire / Open air deck / might throw one of the speakers inside depending upon if they want people inside or not.

I already beefed up my Library with some recent non freestyle stuff / new Jay Z /black eyed peas / modern rap and some recocognizable more modern dance. just in case I get asked to play it. or if people REALLy start dancing

:cool:

TearEmUp

Mixologist!
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Grab a Shure SM58 mic Greasy. It is/has been @ 100 bucks, brand new, for 25 years. But, it will work for 25 years. YouTube has videos of people freezing them, running them over with cars, dropping them off buildings. The sound quality is very, very good, and it is one durable piece of kit.

Set up a playlist in VDJ, but do not be married to it. Use it as an "Oh shit" safeguard. Try to keep your cool, and remember something always goes wrong on the first gig. How you handle it will separate you from the other DJs....you have my cell phone number if you need me...good luck...

Grab a Shure SM58 mic Greasy. It is/has been @ 100 bucks, brand new, for 25 years. But, it will work for 25 years. YouTube has videos of people freezing them, running them over with cars, dropping them off buildings. The sound quality is very, very good, and it is one durable piece of kit.

Set up a playlist in VDJ, but do not be married to it. Use it as an "Oh shit" safeguard. Try to keep your cool, and remember something always goes wrong on the first gig. How you handle it will separate you from the other DJs....you have my cell phone number if you need me...good luck...

"and remember something always goes wrong on the first gig"

Its crazy but TRUE and that really could be anything:

Car
Audio Gear
Cold/Flu etc.

Dont forget to bring extra sets of patch cords, Duct tape "to tape down wires", a small tool kit, flashlight, aspirin... lol and leave your self plenty of time for set-up ect.... It's better to be safe than sorry!!!!

HAVE FUN WITH IT... AND YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!

Keep up posted!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Thanks for the great advice Guys !!!

So The gig is on !!

Purchased a TP corded /cordless Mic rig - although I dont know if I will Need or use it ? )

Its going to be indoors - so... both tower speakers prob will be too much
( but i will bring them any way )

already did two practice sets ( couple hrs each ) to test the equipment and practice on the RMX

I noted a few thinks ( in one Night I could be playing ALLOT of songs )
more than I expected.

also I noticed that I Gravitate toward newer & Rare Freestyle and not the classic Jams & "Local " jams that get the average South Jersey Freestyler HYPE.

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
So I am going to break it down into Three Play lists

start with classic recognizable 80's freestyle-
deb deb
trinere
freeze
bananan rama
pajama party
Stevie B
johnny O

Then Early Nineties Jams -
April
s.sensation
Lizette M
Renaldo
coro
Noel
tina elise ( I will have to check to see it thats in the Library ??)

Tazmania Set - I am in Taz's back yard SO any taz classic sends people around here into a full and rageing lather
If you dont drop the needle on PP / Pain & Migel You will be Strung up by your power cables.

Local Jams - Hype every time they are played
- Tuff Crew / King B / Glamourous Life etc. / Get Lifted / UMC's etc.
i dont even know what genre these songs are (Hip house rooted ) but all I know is they CRUSH

Then if people are casually listening I will go into newer stuff mixed with older
i.e. : Pure pleasure old & new / Sammy C Old then New / Sammy ZONE Old then New.

If peolple are gettn crazy or dancing I will probibly go Up tempo Newer stuff
ie the 1st ADM Cd stuff / some post 95 stuff and some club dance anthems ( although its kinda boring to mix / these late 90 nightclub dance songs people do enjoy )

Then if no one is dancing I will prob revert to some rap & Hip hop depending who is there eve - tamborine / breath - Fab / etc....:cool:

chuckie

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Back up. always have a back up plan!

back up controller/laptop will always be a good thing. if the laptop goes you will be screwed. if the controller goes you will be ok if you can control the software with keyboard/mouse. but if the laptop goes, what will you do?

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Yo Chuckie WAT UP !

If VDJ goes or freezes or the RMX dies , I have tracktor LE as a back up ...

if amp blows or goes dead ( I will most likley be able to jack into the house((my friends house is hard wired for sound / place is sick ))

believe it or not if the lappy goes I am pretty screwed becuase I dont have a full analog rig or back up Lap-top.

But I do have a plan for this...... can go to premixed tracks - I have on my phone and CD's and Mix Via volume Knobs .

That would be a worst case senario but at least i will be delivering the goods .....the music.

some of my freinds are Pro DJs and they may go or offer to help / when they hear that i am doing this.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Yo Greasy, how did it go? Did you do your first gig yet?

You can never go wrong where we're from if you include Tuff Crew, Cool C, and shit. Old school always sells. It will never go out of style, it only gets better with age. Throw some Gangstar, Big Daddy Kane, and LL in there too.

I always started out with old school rap, then into Miami bass stuff, like 2 live crew, Dj Laz, and Magic Mike, then into the more known tracks to break em in, then the rarer ones I would throw in once in a while (but its hard if you got a tough crowd). (most crowds just want to hear the popular stuff), then from there I would go into the commercial house (like the U.S. stuff they play on the radio (again to break em in), like Amber, Sonique, Alice Dj, ect, then into the deeper house and underground shit, finishing the night off by the time everyone is fucked up with some killer trance. That was the format I usually went with and it always worked. At least you know you have a crowd that loves freestyle, so the Taz tracks will go over big...djc.

P.S. Did you know Ice Dog from Tuff Crew is a cop now in Philly. Back in my old neighborhood too. He's sationed with a good friend of mine. He just sent me a cd with some songs that never made it on the albums and a cool ass Tuff Crew t-shirt...djc.

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Thanks for the support Guys But it kept getting pushed back and pushed back then it was suposed to be like two weeks before christmas -----and last minute he canceled ........so much for the winter Jammy Jam

So I guess I 'll have to wait ........But my gear is so small and mobile that ....when he does say okay I'll be over there and set up in less then a half an hour

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
^eh, that's ok. gives you more time to practice and refine your sets. Hopefully, 2010 will be your breakout year.

Well like they say Welcome to the "Business" side of it!!!!

I know this is your friend and stuff...... huh... "all the more reason" lol I'm not being an ASS

NO CONTRACT, NO DEPOSIT, NO GIGG!!!!!!!!!

You may have spent money on new equip and stuff...
We know u spent time and thought into your sets and how the event would go.... and it didn't!!!!! yet!!!!
You cant plan or book without the 3 ^^^ listed!!!!!
I'm not trying to come off in a bad way... it's just the way Business is now
"protect yourself"

I Just wanted to add that if there is no money involved, I would still get the contract, this looks so much more better even if it's a friend... it shows your commited to him or her 100%

Like Raf said 2010 Breakout!!!

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
first Live set was yesterday !!!

it wasn't a formal gig

But it was My first Live set and 1st time taking the RMX on the road.

Set up - 20Min !!!!

spun from 2:30 - 10:30 Barb Q with 95% of the old crew.

had one tower ( 12") and the one 8" but first two song sounded scratchy (&^%&^%&%*!@!@!@

but I fiqured it out it was the 8" it is blown But thats okay becuase the single 12" speaker is SO Frigin clear & Loud and THUMPs enough to rock the whole party and only turning it up 1/3 the way shook the house. ( & the speaker was out side)

I was set up out side / the equipment was in the shade but even the shade was in the 90's so every thing got very hot ....but nothing blew

VDJ - & RMX rock solid no glitches or freezes / also played a rock set from my friends Ipod ( Ac/Dc & Some beasties )

It was SO MUCH FUN & the kidz liked the mic & headphones - I let them give lil shout outs to thier parents.

Some interesting observations :

sammy zone didnt get the crew that hype

but Jonelle they ate up

Old school trinere / deb / cynthia / Jonnie O Got even the youger people Hype

Played the Newer Pain then got two more request to hear it again & played 3 times

Sammy C - old ruled EVERYONE GOT HYPE played like 3-4 older Sammy C Every body went bananas - told them about "Meant to be" then played it two more Times ( THAT INTRO IS REDUCNKULOUS !!!!!! )

twice two different girls Shreeked as soon as i Cued up a tune
coming up and saying This is My favorite SONG !!! EVER

- that was pretty cool

Bobby D got a reaction with a couple YEAHHH 'a & TURN THIS UP

:eek:

powrpuff

Freakalicious Freestyler
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
MaximumFreestyle.Com
awe sounds cool...like a lotta fun...congrats!;)

You go Greasy.....yeah, I'm one of those chicks that get on the dancefloor saying "oooo my sawwwng"....but then I do again in the chat too. :tgif:

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Hey you did it!

Congrats, I hope you can built on this,

So I am going to break it down into Three Play lists

start with classic recognizable 80's freestyle-
deb deb
trinere
freeze
bananan rama
pajama party
Stevie B
johnny O

Then Early Nineties Jams -
April
s.sensation
Lizette M
Renaldo
coro
Noel
tina elise ( I will have to check to see it thats in the Library ??)

Tazmania Set - I am in Taz's back yard SO any taz classic sends people around here into a full and rageing lather
If you dont drop the needle on PP / Pain & Migel You will be Strung up by your power cables.

Local Jams - Hype every time they are played
- Tuff Crew / King B / Glamourous Life etc. / Get Lifted / UMC's etc.
i dont even know what genre these songs are (Hip house rooted ) but all I know is they CRUSH

Then if people are casually listening I will go into newer stuff mixed with older
i.e. : Pure pleasure old & new / Sammy C Old then New / Sammy ZONE Old then New.

If peolple are gettn crazy or dancing I will probibly go Up tempo Newer stuff
ie the 1st ADM Cd stuff / some post 95 stuff and some club dance anthems ( although its kinda boring to mix / these late 90 nightclub dance songs people do enjoy )

Then if no one is dancing I will prob revert to some rap & Hip hop depending who is there eve - tamborine / breath - Fab / etc....:cool:

Congrats on the gig!!!! :yes:

I was just wondering if this original plan was still used the night of the party, or was it changed up on the fly.

Also did u record any audio/video? if so can u post it up?

:cool: Yea Boy!!!

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I did not even try to stick with original plan.

I just went withit and when i got a reation I would sister it up with same type .

I was supprized how the old school got such a reaction ;)

no vids I do have some pics

and VDJ does save your playlist ( I just have to find were that is ?) I stubbled upon this feature a few months a go.

which is cool becuase you can mix the same playlist and try it different ways or to correct mistakes

A few other Observations :

EVERY & ANY Effect gets frightfully stale QUICK and can be used Only twice if that !!!!

People who don't Know editz ( No matter how cool it sounds ) someone will think its a CD or record skipping HELLLOO I"M BRINGIN IT %110% DIGITAL BABY

Now after all these years I now know why DJ are so uptight about thier equipment :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Because they have to Be ......every one from 8-80 wants to touch your kit :talktohan while the music is playing :mad:

also I don't have enough Radio versions (did a quick rap/hip hop set )

& found out the hard way ....PS Like WOAH / Black Rob has a verse about a finger and a certain orafice...Thus the term LIKE WHOAH .....lil note to self

great reaction from those songs with the "Panet Soul" beat

did a lil Tuff crew / King B / Get Lifted set

people Like Black Eyed peas

And I wasn't the only one JAMMING TO M.I.A.

All in ALL VERY FUN ( which is why I do it ) and it went off without a hitch ;);)

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Also the most advanced was were i had looped a sick Hip hop beat and i was brought in Info society Running vocals then into the istrimental then intoo something else ( I strugle with accapella timming )I think it was Willy V One true Love afair - but InfoSociety is probably the easiest. and one of my Boys came up to me after and was like Yo grease that mix was sick!

I also did something similar durring the sammy C medley I did. ( But again Those are probably the two easiest vocals to bring in and out .)

:eyebrow::eyebrow: