• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

New speakers

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I actually won these on Ebay by accident. I sent in a "make offer" and it was accepted. I come back from my 2 week trip at sea and find out I owe payment on these...lol... So I guess I'll take em...

I got em for $475 factory new with warranty and free shipping (which is hard to get to Alaska)

Mackie MR8 Studio Moniors:

http://www.mackie.com/products/mrseries/

I was going to go with a pair of bigger Mackies, so I could use them for smaller live gigs as well, but wasn't sure as they would take up so much space. By getting these unexpectidly I guess my mind has been made up, lol. At least they take up half the space and cost half as much.

Anyone have any experience with these speakers? From the reviews I've read, I think I have a good pair of speaker coming...djc.

varrinique

FM MoDz
Freestyle Nation
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
MaximumFreestyle.Com
LatinFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
They look very durable. Having a warranty with any electronics you purchase is the smart way. Great job Greg, enjoy :)

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I really like the Mackies. I was in someone home studio and they had the bigger mackies as monitors. The sound was so rich when he was playing his production, but we started DJing wow, I loved them even more.

N-Joy them DJC!

Greasy

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Hey Coast when are you going to upload a MIX ??????

I got some of the Samson powered monitors becuase I liked the inputs and they were on a Holiday christmas sale for like 80 bucks

its not a rocket / but they do sound pretty good and guitar center has sold so many that the price has creeped up to like 178$

but I wished I had gone for the 4 inch I think for 50Bucks more.

which brings us too another quetstion ( I'm about to Jack your thread )

how do you DJ off of a monitor or "Booth" set up ??

any comments are appreciated

vs headphones with head phones & monitor / pros cons or just personal experiences

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
which brings us too another quetstion ( I'm about to Jack your thread )

how do you DJ off of a monitor or "Booth" set up ??

any comments are appreciated

vs headphones with head phones & monitor / pros cons or just personal experiences
No probs Greasy, this thread needed some action anyways...lol...

Well, I only know how to dj one way, I hear the music playing through the speakers (otherwise known as the monitor) and I use one ear for the speaker and one cup of the phones to "beatmatch" the record. Now because the speakers I currently own (owned soon)...suck so bad, once I was actually "in the mix" I would throw on both ears and monitor my mixes that way, on top of shitty speakers, I usually have to keep the volume down anyway due to neighbors and family. So it was very hard to hear what was going on at low volumes. I needed a new set bad. I hope I don't regret getting smaller speakers, as they are only good for the home only. My first plan was to buy a bigger pair of Mackies and use them as both home monitors and for live gigs if need be.

I just read your question again, if that didn't answer it, I think you may mean this: For instance, in a club you have the regular installed system going to the master output on the mixer, then in the dj booth there will be a monitor. From my experiences its usally just one speaker, like a JBL EON or Mackie 12" speaker. So you have the master volume (for the club), then the booth volume for your monitor thats usually a few feet away from you. Without that speaker in the booth it would be very hard to accurately "monitor" the sound for beatmatching. You would have a slight delay and other musical distractions trying to use the club system for mixing without a speaker otherwise known as a monitor very close by (there's a better explanation that I forget right now), but it would be harder to mix without a monitior that I know.

Also so there's no confsion. The speakers I bought are classified as "monitors" for another reason. They are used in studios by producers making music who need a very accurate sound to "monitor" their mixes. Supposedly these speakers are very "true". But they will not have a super powerful UMF! or anything like that, but I am sure they will fill a small room better than my shitty Aiwa's do now...lol...I got the 8" macks...

I am waiting for these speakers to come in so I can put my Vestax rotary to the test. As in my other thread I was complaing about how this mixer doesn't have a friggin "master cue"...still boggles my mind, such a perfect mixer otherwise...and for a few reasons I really need that master cue, never had a mixer without one, didn't know they existed to be honest. So with no master cue, I need a pair of speakers than can produce a very accurate sound at low levels for home use, cause I can't put both cups on to listen to the mix with the Vestax. It only has single cur or split cue, so when doing 3-4 minute mixes on 2 house tracks with the Vestax I can only use the speakers and I have to "listen very carefully" know whatta I mean...

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I really like the Mackies. I was in someone home studio and they had the bigger mackies as monitors. The sound was so rich when he was playing his production, but we started DJing wow, I loved them even more.

N-Joy them DJC!
Thanks Raf, I just hope I don't regret getting the smaller ones. What size did they have 10" or 12"? From what I hear though these 8's are supposed to sound big, also the cabinets are bigger than say the Rokit 8's (and sound better).

I guess in the future I can get the Cerwin Vega double 15's and a Crown amp if I get back into the live gig thing....:buttrock:.....now that would rock!!

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Thanks Raf, I just hope I don't regret getting the smaller ones. What size did they have 10" or 12"? From what I hear though these 8's are supposed to sound big, also the cabinets are bigger than say the Rokit 8's (and sound better).

I guess in the future I can get the Cerwin Vega double 15's and a Crown amp if I get back into the live gig thing....:buttrock:.....now that would rock!!
Ugh.. I couldn't remember so I took a quick look online and IIRC they looked alot like the HR824 Studio Monitors, except that at the time he bought them they were @ $700 each. The back panel is the way I remember it, with the front being very plain, just a single green LED.

I remember him always point out that it was a green LED, because apparently there was another model of Mackie that had a blue LED. Oh well, either way you got a good deal there.

Mackies are definitely better than the Rokit's I've been searching for ( Rokit 6 G2 Limited Red Edition) to use as monitors. But since I only need them for mixing and not to fill a room, they are perfect for the job. The extra money can go into something else I've been eyeing for sometime.

Red Pioneer EFX. :D

Ugh.. I couldn't remember so I took a quick look online and IIRC they looked alot like the HR824 Studio Monitors, except that at the time he bought them they were @ $700 each. The back panel is the way I remember it, with the front being very plain, just a single green LED.

I remember him always point out that it was a green LED, because apparently there was another model of Mackie that had a blue LED. Oh well, either way you got a good deal there.

Mackies are definitely better than the Rokit's I've been searching for ( Rokit 6 G2 Limited Red Edition) to use as monitors. But since I only need them for mixing and not to fill a room, they are perfect for the job. The extra money can go into something else I've been eyeing for sometime.

Red Pioneer EFX. :D
DAMN RAF JUS STOP ALREADY :eek:

(we must think alike) :cool:

BTW the jbl "8" ROCK {they dont come in red}.... they could get custom done did!!!! lol

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Raf I remember reading bad reviews on the "red rokits"...lol...

Well I just recieved these speakers on my doorstep, I am stoked. I already have XLR's to hook em up. I have basketball practice in a minute then when I get back they will be rocking.

BTW these things are friggin huge. I could of just got the bigger guys, lol. These things weigh close to 30lbs a piece I think. I'm gonna order stands for them tonight.

Raf, for $475/shipped l'd go with these 8" Mackies over the Rokits anyday. I've personally heard the Rokits and was not impressed at all. Also they make a smaller cheaper Mackie MR5 as well. But lets see how these guys I got sound first...I'll let you know...djc.

I agree with DJ_COAST on the KRK Rokits... I DID WANT THEM AS WELL!!!!

However when I was at the GC IN Balt M.D. I was able to hear them all side by side in a sound room, and the KRK'S I did not get.....

I picked up the JBL lsr 8's and dropped more $$$ for them so price was not the issue here it was the overall sound and depth both low's and high's

I was thinking about having the JBL'S custom painted to the Ferrari red :D

DONT GET ME WRONG the KRK'S are very very very nice!!!!!! I think like u said in the post, u dont need them for filling the entire room so then they will do the job u need and also have that awsome Ferrari red to go with the set-up!!!!! "bastid"

BTW I heard they have a sale on the silver efx-500's-----u know the red's are HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Supposedly these speakers are very "true". But they will not have a super powerful UMF! or anything like that, but I am sure they will fill a small room better than my shitty Aiwa's do now...lol...I got the 8" macks...
I lied!!! OMG these speakers have freaking UMF!! BIG TIME... seriously they rock. Best sounding 8" speakers I've ever heard. And definitely sound better than the KRK 8"ers. 2 seperate amps 100/50 watts, 200/100 peak. The housing itself is effin huge, alot bigger than the KRK 8's...or any 8" monitor I've seen, they are pretty big and heavy, but thats good. Even at very high volumes they hold their composure and do not distort. I'm still playing with the levels between the speakers and the mixer to get the perfect sound for the room that they are in. They are so loud, you can hear them from down the street, and they are in a closed room behind the garage and this is with all the doors closed!! I really was surprised of the bass that they put out for only 8" speakers...definitely worth it for $475. I knew I wouldn't be dissapointed, pretty much 99% rave reviews all over the net from anyone who owns or heard a pair.

The sound is big enough to throw a house party with. The thing is they are so friggin big, and the money I spent on XLR's, and now I'm gonna need stands (tell you why in the next paragraph), I could of got the bigger Mackies like the 10's or 12's that would of been only a little bit bigger for almost the same price after its all said and done. I found package deals on the bigger Mackie's that included the speakers, jacks, and stands for $900 (10's) and $1000 (12's) So I spent $475 for 8" speakers, $75 for jacks, and probably around $100-150 for stands that I'm gonna need. (roughly $700) when I could of just went bigger for a little more money....I suppose ??

Ok, here's the funny part (for you's to read at least)...last night it was late by the time I got to hook em up, so I couldn't blast them, but I just wanted to have them ready for today....so.....its like 2am, I put them on the shelf (one in pic on other thread, above my coffin)....after everything is hooked up, I throw on a record and I see the screws on the shelf start to come out of the wall...OMG!!! I grab the shelf just in time before the whole thing almost fell on my turntables and mixer!!! yah, so one of the speakes falls off, I catch it in one hand, now with the other hand I'm holding up the shelf and the other speaker....I'm screaming for my wife like its bloody murder, lol...like "HELP,,, HELP".....lololo...after like 5 minutes (because she was sleeping in the house next to the garage where I keep my shit), she finally comes running in and helps me....by now my shoulders and arms are burning in pain:stars:, lol...it was a close call. So now the shelf is gone. I have them on top of the boxes they came with for now, but I need stands bad.

The sound is amazing and more than enough for "home djing"...I could of been ok with the MR5's....Raf thats what I would get for your needs. I'm gonna try to find the review of the red Rokits and post it for you. I believe it was on djforums.com.

Still though, after all this, I would of rather had the 10's or 12's...I really do, for the little bit of extra $, then they would rock even more, and I could use them for live gigs...but...

....Overall I am happy with them, and kinda stuck with em, it would kill me to ship them back, so it is what it is...

I guess, I'll just wait till I return to the "lower 48" and think about getting a bigger package for live gigs. One of these MR8's would work as a monitor right next to me during a live gig, they sound that loud...djc.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Raf

[ame="http://djforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221681"]Anyone have the red Rokit KRKs? - dj forums - The Worldwide DJ Community[/ame]

It looks as if these speakers are not powered. So for $300 you'll still need a reciever or small amp. Also they don't sound like they would have good bass as they are described as "hi fi"...

The Mackie HR824's you described are alot more money, I think for how good the MR series sound, there's no need to spend the extra money. (at least for djing purposes). The MR5's run for around $350 and they are powered.

I wanted to add, with the MR8's they sound awesome with freestyle and house. Decent with hip hop, but the bass isn't as great with hip hop. Of all genres, house sounded the best. And with all the levels turned almost all the way up (just to see), still barely no distortion, very clean sounding, the bass still holds, and the highs are crisp. I don't know much about sound engineering and studio shit, but to me they sound "true".

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Just got my first noise complaint and the house it came from ain't even attached to me...(75 feet away)...hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Banana01:

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Anyone have the red Rokit KRKs? - dj forums - The Worldwide DJ Community

It looks as if these speakers are not powered. So for $300 you'll still need a reciever or small amp. Also they don't sound like they would have good bass as they are described as "hi fi"...

The Mackie HR824's you described are alot more money, I think for how good the MR series sound, there's no need to spend the extra money. (at least for djing purposes). The MR5's run for around $350 and they are powered.

I wanted to add, with the MR8's they sound awesome with freestyle and house. Decent with hip hop, but the bass isn't as great with hip hop. Of all genres, house sounded the best. And with all the levels turned almost all the way up (just to see), still barely no distortion, very clean sounding, the bass still holds, and the highs are crisp. I don't know much about sound engineering and studio shit, but to me they sound "true".
Actually as far as I know all Generation 2 Rokits are powered, including the RED, YELLOW and WHITE Rokits. Not sure where they got that they are not powered. :confused:

Any Rokit would be an upgrade for me since I'm currently using a small pair of M-Audio right now. I'm leaning towards passing on the speakers for now and either going with the Pioneer EFX 500 or a new set of Monitors for my PC.

Ugh, we'll see what the next few days brings. :cool:

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Just got my first noise complaint and the house it came from ain't even attached to me...(75 feet away)...hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Banana01:
DJC Rocking the Igloos!

*gets on his trusty llama and makes haste to Alaska

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
OK, I went with the KRK's limited Red Edition. After seeing the Mackies MR8's where way too big for my needs. The KRK's are just what I needed. Plus with the money I saved I was able to get the Pioneer Efx 500 (Red Edition).

All I need now is a proper setup for them. Right now I'm using an old entertainment unit I was actually planning to throw out. I should be posting some pics up soon.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
OK, I went with the KRK's limited Red Edition. After seeing the Mackies MR8's where way too big for my needs. The KRK's are just what I needed. Plus with the money I saved I was able to get the Pioneer Efx 500 (Red Edition).
Nice congrats on your purchase. Hope they work well for you. I'm loving thre Mackies. I been using the Vestax Rotary with them the past 2 weeks, I'm digging the mixer alot more now.