• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Vestax Rotary

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Well I got my first rotary mixer. I picked up a Vestax PCV-275 on ebay. Then I ordered the rotary kit which took me 2 weeks to find. I finally found it on ebay Canada...lol...yeah the mixer is hard to find, and the rotary kit even more rare.

So I installed the kit, which comes with a new faceplate for it as well, so now it looks brand new. I also cleaned the inside out (which was super clean BTW), then hooked it up and let me just say its effin insane when it comes to mixing house/trance with it. JUst something about mixing with a rotary, smoove like butter baby...

The only problem I have with it is: there is no master cue. For me this is a huge problem, I have been using mixers with a master cue since I began djing. It boggles my mind why they would design such an awesome mixer and not have a master cue. See for me the problem lies here at home when its 3am (like last night), and I'm mixing, the wife and kid are sleeping and I have to keep the monitors low. So when I'm actually "in the mix" bringing in the next track I will put both ears on and monitor the mix in 'master cue". With this thing its a no go. So I have to decide now on what to do. I love this thing, but I need a master cue. For live gigs, it wouldn't be an issue, but when recording at home with neighbors and a kid, its a big deal.

One other thing, even though it sounds awesome, my Pioneer is way louder. But what I like about this mixer, is it has an old school sound when it comes to mixing house, its meant for vinyl dj's. It has 6 inputs, one of then is on the top of the mixer, which is cool. Say your in the middle of a gig and some one hands you their Ipod, you can play a song from it, or hook anything up to it on the fly without fumbling about the back of the mixer. It also has isolator kill switches, which are decent to use once in a while. And if the time comes, it has decent effects send/return features. Also for some odd reason it doesn''t have a record out. Right now I have it hooked up to a Kenwood reciever with RCA's, so I plan on getting a pair of powered monitors (Mackie Thump 15's), I can then hook the speakers up via 1/4 jacks to the master out, and then hook up the cd recorder to the RCA master outs. Its the only way. So at the moment I can't record anything on it.

We'll see. I may sell it, easliy get $500 for it, sell the Pioneer for $800, and use that money to get a Rane Empath Rotary and the speakers. I'm so freakin mad, I missed a a Rane rotary that went for under $500 on ebay, I never bid, I thought for sure it would sell for like 7-800...it was in perfect mint cond. and barely used...djc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Rotary Mixers are hawt! The last one I used was Rane's MP 2016.

Great for House, but a bit tricky with Freestyle however the oversize knobs does help.

Be sure to post up pics of your setup once you got it all finalized.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays

Great for House, but a bit tricky with Freestyle however the oversize knobs does help.

Yeah that Rane is friggin sweet. It can be ok with freestlye if you get the unit with the crossfader that goes with it. But yeah, can't imagine with some of the quick cuts you have to do sometimes with freestyle not having a corss fader. But it can be done. I would seriously consider that mixer if it wasn't for my plans with the custom coffin, I just don't want a 19" mixer. I'd get the XONE S2 rotary if I did go with a 19" mixer.

On the Vestax, I already unhooked it. I can't get used to the fact that there is no master cue. It pisses me off. For that reason alone I will most likely sell it.

For instance, the other night I recorded a mix, it was around 4am, no way can I blast it with the wife and kid sleeping, and neighbors, lol... So I have to throw the cue in master and put both ears on when I'm actually "in the mix". My speakers suck too bad when at low volumes to accurately "monitor" whats going on. The Vestax would be fine for live gigs, I would never mix with both ears in a club environment, I would just use the booth monitor, but at home I need to use the phones, between having sucky bookshelf speakers and not being able to have it a decent volume in the first place, I just can't accurately mix using the speakers alone when I'm recording in my home.

So before I put it on Ebay, if anyone is interested, let me know. I am most likely selling the Pioneer DJM-700 as well. I have my heart set on the Rane Empath rotary. After mixing with these roatary knobs, I effin fell in love, and I knew I would. I just can't keep the mixer for the sad fact that it lacks a master cue. Its funny, I read tons of reviews all over the net before I bought it, and that was the only complaint. I went and purchased it anyway, thinking I would be able to adjust, but after trying it out, no can do.

If I did keep it. The setup would be as follows: A custom coffin with 2 black 1200's to the left, the beautiful gold Vestax in the middle, and a 3rd black deck to the right. I am waiting on quotes from two different companies on the custom coffin. If you look at my pics on the "setup thread" you'll see how my coffin rests on two pillars. They actually came from a glass table that was in some ones kitchen. He never paid me for a gig, so I took em, lol...I just have to spray them black to make em look brand new again. They are very light, hollow inside, and made out of a plaster type material. 3 new decks are in the works when I get back to the lower 48. Also I am about to purchase a pair of Mackie Thump 15's any day now, possibly the 18" sub that goes with em. Found a deal for $1200 for the speakers, sub, and the stands. I have to see what its gonna cost to ship em out here. Just another drawback of living out in bubblefuck Alaksa.

I'm gonna start doing my own parties here in the summer. To make extra money. Beef n Beer style. Rent a hall, sell tickets, all you can drink beer with hot roast beef and meatball sandwiches. Old school style. I used to do this before, made alotta money in the process. You can't beat it, friends, djing, having fun and making money at the same time and its leagal. $20 a ticket, $25 at the door. Gonna build them up throughout the summer and by Halloween do a huge Halloween/Costume party. Hence the reason I am trying to get my shit together equipment wise.

I just purchased 25 new records, all the top 40 crap you would hear on the radio and MTV, but necessary with todays generation, ya know. And whoever says vinyl is dead is friggin whacked outta their mind...Lady Gaga, Pitbull, Snoop, Pusscat dolls, Fergie, Madonna, Nelly Furtado, Rhianna, Spears, Aguilera, Missy Elliot, ect...all on viny and all on their way to my front door step.

"Somebody gotta keep it alive"

Strictly Vinyl Productions

Last edited by a moderator:

3pm

I have this very mixer, although it stays at home. I actually got in on a "lot" sale purchase I made along with 3 1200mk2's and a Numark CDN-88. That mixer is the reason I made the purchase. Back in the day I had a Bozak and wanted to relive those days with this one.

In my 2 rigs now I have a Pio DJM and Rane MM8Z

(BTW, both have CUE) :p

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Sweet grab 3pm!

I ordered a pair of rotarty knob for my Denon 500. I never really liked the feel of the slide fader for the channels. Can't wait to make the switch.

Last edited:

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Sweet grab 3pm!

I ordered a pair of rotarty knob for my Denon 500. I never really liked the feel of the slide fader for the channels. Can't wait to make the switch.

Nice, your gonna like em. I still have this Vestax, its such a beauty its killing me to let it go.

If some one could talk me into keeping it (I'm easy), lol...I only need to be able to live without the master cue.

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I've never used a Vestax, but I've heard good things about them. Does yours have send/receive inputs/outputs? If not, that could be a reason to upgrade your mixer.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I've never used a Vestax, but I've heard good things about them. Does yours have send/receive inputs/outputs? If not, that could be a reason to upgrade your mixer.
Yes it does have send/receive outputs.

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Ha, Ha... Sorry dude was trying to find something wrong with the mixer but I can't so I can't convince you to drop it.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Ha, Ha... Sorry dude was trying to find something wrong with the mixer but I can't so I can't convince you to drop it.
Lol, yeah man, its just the friggin headphone cue selection. Like right now I have my Pionner hooked up. The other night I made a mix (like 3am), so I have to keep it real low, I have no problem having one ear on while I'm beatmatching the next record (thats the only way for me), but when I finally bring the next track in, I throw it in "master cue", put both ears on and listen to the mix carefully. As you know I am not a "quick cut" kinda guy. I keep the fader curves on long and do mixes that are sometimes 2-3 minutes long. No way can I monitor a mix like that with shitty speakers or when the volume is way down. With both ears on in master cue you hear every single detail and don't miss a beat. Now for instance I had a house party the other night. The shit was blasting, so no need to use both ears to hear whats going on. Shit that would be embarassing, I never used both ears when djing a live gig...yikes...lol....but being pretty much a "bedroom dj" trying to make recordings and practice and shit, and having to keep it low, the master cue is a necessity.

Now I am ordering the Mackie Thump 15's any day now, and I could use them with the Vestax in the daytime and have them blasting to monitor the mix no problem, but at night, its back to the phones. I hate mixing with both ears on too, but at night, neighbors, kid and (who care's bout the wife), nah just kidding, or am I? lololo...djc.

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
The funny thing is that you say your TT is not working right and you have to finger the platter and ride the pitch, but your blends are longer and tighter than most DJ I've heard that have no excuses.

Keep banging those mixes out man. I love hearing them while I do my chorus around the house.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
The funny thing is that you say your TT is not working right and you have to finger the platter and ride the pitch, but your blends are longer and tighter than most DJ I've heard that have no excuses.

Keep banging those mixes out man. I love hearing them while I do my chorus around the house.
Raf, thanks bro, that really means alot. Hey I'm gonna send you the exact mix I just did on Saturday. I don't hink there's one mix shorter than a minute. Some up to 2-3 minutes. I felt it had great energy, but at minute 62 I brought in a track by Filter way too late and the energy was lost for a few seconds, I was like ugggg but kept going...so of course when I'm recording and I know I am not happy with the outcome I keep going and kinda loosen up and fuck around more. So in the last two tracks I do a little scratching here and there, but after listening to it, I dunno what I was thinking....lol... But overall, this is the one to bang around the house no doubt. I will send it to you right now. I have to go back in and run em through one more time then I will post it on your site, this one I'm sending ya was just a practice run to see how many records I can fit in 80 minutes. (as you know all my mixes are like 79 minutes long), and this one just made it without cutting the last record off. Man, I can't wait to get the Sony Sound forge so I can go back and add drops, samples, edit and compress the shit. So check your PM's bro. Once this is finalized I will post it. So you get the raw copy straight from vinyl of course, lol...djc.

One more thing to add, it really is hard making basement style mixes and trying to pretend there are a 1000 people dancing to your shit. When I'm actually in front of a crowd, the energy meter goes right up. I need people to feed off of, its just not the same for me in a room by myself...djc.

PM sent with the link to dl mix

thanks...djc.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Sweet grab 3pm!

Raf let me know when you hook the kit up. I think your gonna love em. Long smooth mixes with the rotaries for house/trance and you still have the fader for freestyle, rap, and other songs that require quicker cuts.

BTW: My wife wanted me to tell you how awesome your RT1 freestyle mix is, we been blasting it in the Fosgates...killer bro...killer...I mist admit, I wish you played "the puppet" longer...lol...I was like ahhhhhh I love that song...lol...djc...

...I think Chuck wanted to hear it too, its his favlorite song...:xlaugh:

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Raf let me know when you hook the kit up. I think your gonna love em. Long smooth mixes with the rotaries for house/trance and you still have the fader for freestyle, rap, and other songs that require quicker cuts.

BTW: My wife wanted me to tell you how awesome your RT1 freestyle mix is, we been blasting it in the Fosgates...killer bro...killer...I mist admit, I wish you played "the puppet" longer...lol...I was like ahhhhhh I love that song...lol...djc...

...I think Chuck wanted to hear it too, its his favlorite song...:xlaugh:
Ok, I know I'm all later with my response. But here's an update. I got the rotaries installed and I love them. But oddly enough I find myself using the fader more than ever. I guess its must be because its Freestyle. Blah!

Now that I got the new speakers I'm starting to find that I can't seem to get the volume in my headsets loud enough. Looks like I need to get myself a new headset.

Anyone have any suggestions?

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Now that I got the new speakers I'm starting to find that I can't seem to get the volume in my headsets loud enough. Looks like I need to get myself a new headset.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I use the technics RPDH1200's. Over the past 12 years I've gone thru every brand and these are by far my favorite's. From my experience stay away from the Pioneer's, (been thru at least 5 pairs), they don't last long, same with Sony's. These Technics are fine with the MAckie MR8's that are loud.

So u got the rotaries.... they r smooth but not that great 4 freestyle!!!
How many did u get 2 or 4 ? I got 2 and left the other 2 channels with the upfaders about a year ago, On the real... I dont really use them to mix with :( NOT YET ;)

As far as headphones go I am a brut and the only ones that have stood up to home and over the road abuse, and that are still in great condition are the:

:bowdown: Technics :bowdown: