DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

WHAT SOFTWARE DO YOU GUYS RECOMEND FOR A WANNA BE dj

I'm with Tony on this one. If you truly want the whole experience, get some tables and vinyl.

Software like MixMeister is good, but IMO it promotes laziness.

I've spun for about 15 years now and software wasn't around back in the day. I have a greater appreciation now for my vinyl :)

I will come from the other end here...if you are serious about being a dj and a good dj, start with turntables and forget about the software.

You will learn things by using turntables that you will never learn or even be taught by using dj simulation software.

Trust me on this...

Yeah, getting the technics is always a good thing. But in this day in age I thing he's just better off getting some CDJ's. Im sure he has a ton of CD's and mp3's on his computer. I recommend the CDJ-800 by Pioneer. You can get apair of these for the price of 1 CDJ-1000. All your really losing is the nice display, the 3 cue points and the memory card slot, but you gain the auto loop and the quick return function which is awesome. They will never let you down.

If you are looking for a DVS system to emulate Vinyl then the only way to go is with Serato scratch live! The most stable system out there and used by many traveling and top DJs right now.

If you are looking for a DVS system to emulate Vinyl then the only way to go is with Serato scratch live! The most stable system out there and used by many traveling and top DJs right now.

Yes, Serato is the closest thing you will get to using "real" vinyl. If I was a mobile dj, who did weddings and such, then I would use that system. Defintely a cool concept, and the most practical for a mobile dj who has to carry thousands of songs. But for me there is nothing that can replace the real deal, just touching and using real records is part of the experience. I couldn't even imagine using cd's or a computer. I am so used to "reading" the records, I wouldn't know what to do with cd's. Using real records lets a dj truly learn the track. For those who start out digital right off the bat will never know what that experience is like. Thats why us vinyl junkies always recommend starting out on vinyl, its the truest form of djing, and it will outlast all other sources as they will come and go, but vinyl will be here to stay...(sorry couldn't hold it in...:))...no offense to any body, please don't take it the wrong way...

Yes, Serato is the closest thing you will get to using "real" vinyl. If I was a mobile dj, who did weddings and such, then I would use that system. Defintely a cool concept, and the most practical for a mobile dj who has to carry thousands of songs. But for me there is nothing that can replace the real deal, just touching and using real records is part of the experience. I couldn't even imagine using cd's or a computer. I am so used to "reading" the records, I wouldn't know what to do with cd's. Using real records lets a dj truly learn the track. For those who start out digital right off the bat will never know what that experience is like. Thats why us vinyl junkies always recommend starting out on vinyl, its the truest form of djing, and it will outlast all other sources as they will come and go, but vinyl will be here to stay...(sorry couldn't hold it in...:))...no offense to any body, please don't take it the wrong way...

The thing is that with Vinyl coming from a DJ that has used them way back in the 80's, is that I do not miss those cracks and pops and you can't loop songs the way I can with the SSL. One other thing I can do without is carrying all those crates of records to an event! I just carry my Lappy, my terra byte external, connect, and walla, No cracks and pops and my back goes on for another 50 years! I Hope! LOL......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so much more you can do with digital. Its fun on CDJ's bro. I know excatly what your sayin man. Nothing beats your hands on the technics with that platter moving under it. And marvelling at the beauty of those machines. I like both. Using CDJ's now though, no skipping ever =) I say rock the crowd with anything. As long as your rockin!

Just a quick story to clarify:

I got my first job when I was 16. I saved every check and didnt spend any check at all. Cashed like 8 of them in and went to NYC with my best freind (DJ Alex Rivera) and bought 2 1200's a mixer and needles. Thats how much I was into music when I was young. True story ask Alex.

I say rock the crowd with anything. As long as your rockin!

I agree 100% with this statement,

I originally started with Vinyl in the 80's I stopped djing for a looonnngg time then moved to cds in 2003ish then did both Vinyl and cd in 2007 Now on to SSL.. I used to be one of the hard core guys screaming real dj's have 12" to work with..lol But I must say some of the pc and cdjs have impressed the hell out of me. so now I say as long as the crowed is moving your doing your job!!

I agree 100% with this statement,

I originally started with Vinyl in the 80's I stopped djing for a looonnngg time then moved to cds in 2003ish then did both Vinyl and cd in 2007 Now on to SSL.. I used to be one of the hard core guys screaming real dj's have 12" to work with..lol But I must say some of the pc and cdjs have impressed the hell out of me. so now I say as long as the crowed is moving your doing your job!!

I started DJing in 1983, mixing not long after that. I have used more gear over the 25+ years than you can shake a stick at. Now, I only bring my PC and midi controllers to jobs. Why? Simple answer, its easy. I got tired of breaking my back carrying around 15 crates full of LPs. Then 20 cases of CDs. Now, one laptop and one hard drive and one midi controller and away I go. Ted is dead-on with his statement.

Its like that old saying, it was heard at the advent of flight. "If God had meant for Man to fly, he would have given us wings." Well everyone who believed that is either dead, or in a nursing home. And planes are all around us. You do the math.....its only a matter of time.....True story, it was not the fastest gunfighter who won the fight. It was the one who used the the best technology and kept his cool. So, y'all be cool....Peace T

I like this statement.

True story, it was not the fastest gunfighter who won the fight. It was the one who used the the best technology and kept his cool.

software

i use virutal d.j. they have a free trial check it out u wont be dissapointed

I agree 100%. Turntables are the foundation that every DJ nees to master before software.

peace
DJ Nova
30 years in the mix

I still spin in big clubs once in a while and even smaller clubs at that.

They all have turntables or at least most clubs will have a pair hidden somewhere in the back of the storage area. for me however since I keep everything in my flight cases and ready to go I prefer bringing my own since I have had MANY bad experiences in clubs using the house turntables (bent tone-arms, unstable pitch slider, bad motors) all due to bad upkeep.

now for what you want to buy really depends on what your looking to do and what music playstyle you are looking for. most big name DJs ( for house and techno) are using CDJs. ALL turntablists use turntables. there are many tricks that I have learned to do manually using 2 turntables that a CDJ or midi controller with software can do for me at the touch of a button instead of working at it really hard. The pleasures with a turntable is the fact that you can set up virtual cue points on your vinyl to quickly cue up that sample you want to drop or juggle, but again this requires more prep time and work then using a CD deck.

I have tried CD decks myself but just never enjoyed my experience as much as I do with vinyl. What I use is a mix between real vinyl and SSL or VDJ on occasion, it really depends what I want to do or if I have that song ripped to MP3. VDJ still has some flaws with the Timecode option so if you want to keep it as original as possible I would highly recommend SSL instead. however buy decks and software will be a huge expense
might want to start with just the decks and a couple of vinyls or CDs.

Back